mixing dogs

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
mixing dogs

Post by 123 » January 23rd, 2010, 11:12 pm

Anyone seen these new "pitbull" type dogs. Thai ridgback blue staff mixes being advertised as blue pits.

Or the supposed bandit line and tank "pitbulls".... which are nothing more then ddbx mixes being advertised as red pitbulls on the net. I have had so many altercation with these different breeders on facebook and in person, mixing dogs and labeling them as pits.

Or am I the only person who has noticed this new phenomenon.

mayhem
Donator
Donator

Re: mixing dogs

Post by mayhem » January 23rd, 2010, 11:32 pm

no its been done for ever mate not seen the thai ridgeback x tho bet there a handfull i dont mind x breeds as long as there honest about it i have 1 here my presa x am bulldog and have had pit/mastiffs in the past

Midgard Kennels

Post by Midgard Kennels » March 29th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Personally I love a good cross bred dog, and breed Bandogs myself. Though I'm very open about the fact that my dogs are cross bred, I think it's odd that someone would see a "purebred" dog as superior to a cross bred dog. If you breed a pit to a pit or a pit to a DDB the results will be different, but I would rather have a well bred cross than a "purebred" dog who was bred just because someone had it and wanted to make some money.

Cross breeding dogs and lying about it is nothing new people have been doing that since the idea of "purebreeding" started. There was a time when all dogs were bred because of how they were build and what they could do, that's the thinking that created all the various breeds we have today. Someone needed a dog build a certain way that could do a certain job, so they bred various dogs together that had the traits they needed and when they got what the wanted they settled the line, then we started calling them breeds. Even some of the newer breeds like all the APBT, which can be amazing athlete, were created when someone crossed bulldogs and terriers then selected the traits they wanted and started line breeding. 200 years later we have several breeds from the same stock and hundreds of bloodlines, and most of the variation you see in pits is from old outcrosses to other breeds including the DDB. It's hard to say what a pit is or isn't, I say if it's build like a pit, works like a pit, and acts like a pit, and it's been that way for 10 or 12 generations, it's a pit.
David Ishee of MidgardMastiffs.com

Diamond Kartel

Post by Diamond Kartel » March 29th, 2010, 10:23 pm

mayhem wrote:no its been done for ever mate not seen the thai ridgeback x tho bet there a handfull i dont mind x breeds as long as there honest about it i have 1 here my presa x am bulldog and have had pit/mastiffs in the past

Mayhem your dogs the nuts mate, reminds me of a Great Dane x Boxer I had in the 90's, Jasper a prime example of a cross breed dog.

BullBreedForum
(The most fun you can have on the net)

tera

Post by tera » May 30th, 2010, 4:18 pm

I hate and I mean hate with a fecking passion people who breed mutts and label them pitbulls....I don't mind crossing dogs for a purpose like bull lurchers or bandogs bred for proper reasons but not just a cross done by some chav for a dog that looks well ard then labelling it a whopper/tank bred pit or bandog!!

If people are dumb enough to want and then buy a Ddb or whatever x labelled as a pit and believe that what they have is a pit then more fool them. I'm not saying that the offspring from such a breeding will all be absolute shite dogs but not a pitbull by a longshot. I'v met people who honeslty think a pitbull should be at least 80 lbs in weight and have a chest and head equivelant to a AB's ??? A friend of mines father has a AB x Pit and it's a good 100lbs...he tells people it's a pit and they believe him.

Ignorance/greed/kennel blindness and mostly stupidity is the biggest problem in bullbreeds today!!

Shipley

Post by Shipley » May 31st, 2010, 8:11 pm

:thumbsup: Gotta say ,...true words spoke well !!!!

How many people would actually know a true blood APBT if it stood before them ?

Cheers Terry.

tera

Post by tera » June 23rd, 2010, 7:02 pm

Not many I bet Terry.

The only good thing is that the dogs these donuts are calling pits look absolutely nothing like a real pit so the real ones can get away with being " Just a big stafford" :thumbsup:

johnbaymore

Post by johnbaymore » September 25th, 2010, 2:38 am

Most pet owners are actually adopting the tradition of mixing breeds. I personally love mixing breeds but before anything I was conducting research if the kind of mixing will be ok. I have my new mix breed the pit bull collie.

tera

Post by tera » September 26th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Why a pit x collie ? Collies have a real short fuse and are known for human/child agression!!! Not a dog I'd want crossed with a pitbull imo.

jjbulls

Post by jjbulls » September 26th, 2010, 5:51 pm

tera wrote:I hate and I mean hate with a fecking passion people who breed mutts and label them pitbulls....I don't mind crossing dogs for a purpose like bull lurchers or bandogs bred for proper reasons but not just a cross done by some chav for a dog that looks well ard then labelling it a whopper/tank bred pit or bandog!!

If people are dumb enough to want and then buy a Ddb or whatever x labelled as a pit and believe that what they have is a pit then more fool them. I'm not saying that the offspring from such a breeding will all be absolute shite dogs but not a pitbull by a longshot. I'v met people who honeslty think a pitbull should be at least 80 lbs in weight and have a chest and head equivelant to a AB's ??? A friend of mines father has a AB x Pit and it's a good 100lbs...he tells people it's a pit and they believe him.

Ignorance/greed/kennel blindness and mostly stupidity is the biggest problem in bullbreeds today!!
Well put tera.. i agree 100% with you.... pitbulls range from about 35lbs up to around 60-70 lbs anything over this will probally have some kind of X in it somewhere down its line ...The Bandit dogs have been around for quite a while now & they do have Ddb in them... To..to big for my liking...80-100lbs + :walkies: