****EXERCISE AND PUPPIES****

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
G2000
****EXERCISE AND PUPPIES****

Post by G2000 » October 10th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Just wanted to do a post to let anybody who's new to owning a puppy, and isn't aware, that you should NEVER over-work a puppy.
Walking them too much at a young age can cause damage to their joints which is irreversible.
Initially you should literally only do 5 mins, very slowly building up. There is debate on exactly how long puppies should walk for, one theory is no more than 5 minutes initially, and then incease by 5 mins every month, yet others suggest this is too much, and you should be doing no more than 20mins to the age of 6 months. This can slowly be increased, but the pup should not do too much till a year of age, and their joints are formed.
The same with agility etc, abything that creates impact...
Hydrotherapy is ok due to the fact it doesn't impact the joints, but obviously you should be sensible with the amount done.

Bullseye
I think you're all great people! xx
I think you're all great people! xx

Re: ****EXERCISE AND PUPPIES****

Post by Bullseye » October 10th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Very wise advise Gem,

and for that reason I have just made this topic a sticky :thumbsup:
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

sherry
Donator
Donator

Post by sherry » October 10th, 2010, 10:22 pm

great post .. :applause: :applause:
Please feel free to post more knowledge of this type ..
thank you very much for sharing :thumbsup:

That island of England breeds very valiant creatures

Oldenstaff

Post by Oldenstaff » November 15th, 2010, 7:19 pm

I too have heard this but one thing I have also noticed is the more athletically proven dogs behind the pup the more drive it seems to show, therefore maybe the 5 min rule per month becomes increased to 10 min ? I have a pup here now thats 8 months (and like my other bitch now 23 months) has a crazy desire to run hard, and if she dosnt get that exercise she WILL (try to) kick the other twos ass. I did follow the slowly slowly approach with my elder bitch purely because my first dog I owned did so much at a young age that when he was around 6-8 years old he went through terrible pain in his legs(to the point it put tears in my eyes) after a year on meds he was fine (no more pain) and I continued after that using homeopathic remedies. I still only walk the youngen for around 30-40 min twice a day but have found myself out for an hour including ball work and feel she is fine within herself and wanting more, perhaps this is ignorance on my part as when the dogs are enjoying there walks its a wonderful thing but I do hold back purely due to my early experiences.
oldenstaff....were great champions are born not made... follow the dream not the competition.

theoldgit
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by theoldgit » November 15th, 2010, 8:08 pm

PERSONAL OPINION.................dont WORK or walk a dog to early or to far the further you walk the more they stay with you,if you have a safe area free running is the best way as they develop at their own pace, once they are 11 to 12 mths they will be ready for work..it work for us, :walkies: ......working dogs are happy dogs
God put dogs on this earth in the hope that man might learn from them courage and loyalty!

ali1389

Post by ali1389 » November 16th, 2010, 10:13 am

Av got a 8 month old staff hes mental lol !! hes got so much energy if he doesnt get enough exersize hes a pain in the arse !! lol ... He only does as much as he wants to but hes mega hyper and if he doesnt get out to run as far as he wants hes bad ie like chewing n bulling my two rottie when the cant be bothered lol there lazy lol !! chance never ever stops :) so i just let him run about mad if he wants to keeps him happy... hes been like thhat since we got him . but didnt let him run riots till he was around 5 months. P.s love the blue staffy pics like robots there well good! x :peace:
Chance.x

Oldenstaff

Post by Oldenstaff » November 16th, 2010, 10:46 am

theoldgit wrote:PERSONAL OPINION.................dont WORK or walk a dog to early or to far the further you walk the more they stay with you,if you have a safe area free running is the best way as they develop at their own pace, once they are 11 to 12 mths they will be ready for work..it work for us, :walkies: ......working dogs are happy dogs
Couldnt agree more John, Im fortunate were I live I walk out my door onto open fields hardly no need to use leads when I said walking/ball work I meant just fun nothing crazy hard but the wee gal just has to run lol
oldenstaff....were great champions are born not made... follow the dream not the competition.

mayhem
Donator
Donator

Post by mayhem » November 16th, 2010, 11:38 am

just wondering is this a kc thing ive heard sim off kc show owners with larger breeds ddbs etc keeping the dogs caged to stop them moving around and still only getting very small amounts of exercise when fully grown

LeighandApple

Post by LeighandApple » November 16th, 2010, 2:21 pm

An exellent way to burn off a pups (or adult dog for that matter) pent up energy is to play mentally stimulating games, this also increases the dogs intellegence/problem solving ability when grown. I've been resting my male dog for most of this year and have had to use mental stimulation to tire him out.......and it definitely works. For those who know him know he likes to do things at full speed, but get his brain working and he'll be panting like he's been out for a good run. I'm doing the same for my 4 month old Patterdale who has no end of energy.

There are tonnes of good games online including on youtube. Give it a go, it's great fun seeing your dog trying to solve problems.

Cheers Leigh

theoldgit
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by theoldgit » November 16th, 2010, 3:29 pm

LeighandApple wrote:An exellent way to burn off a pups (or adult dog for that matter) pent up energy is to play mentally stimulating games, this also increases the dogs intellegence/problem solving ability when grown. I've been resting my male dog for most of this year and have had to use mental stimulation to tire him out.......and it definitely works. For those who know him know he likes to do things at full speed, but get his brain working and he'll be panting like he's been out for a good run. I'm doing the same for my 4 month old Patterdale who has no end of energy.

There are tonnes of good games online including on youtube. Give it a go, it's great fun seeing your dog trying to solve problems.

Cheers Leigh
i couldnt agree more with the mental stimulation theory mate,bull loves trivial pursuit,we dont play chess much lately though..............the bugger always wins and insists on playing for money :lolbonk: :lolbonk: 657
God put dogs on this earth in the hope that man might learn from them courage and loyalty!