hair loss in Bullbreeds

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
jjbulls
hair loss in Bullbreeds

Post by jjbulls » April 26th, 2010, 8:26 pm

as many of you know. some white dogs have a skin problem ..our Beau,s litter sis Cleo. also now 4 years old has been loosing hair quite badly .. she is owned by my friend Frank .. she has really bald patches on both sides .. the vet gave her antiboitics ..? if anyone has any opinions we would all apreiaciate it ... many thanks ... John.

LeighandApple

Re: hair loss in Bullbreeds

Post by LeighandApple » April 26th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Hi John,

What's she being fed on? A friends dog was being treated for seasonal baldness for years, they changed his food from dry kibble to raw and his hair grew back. I know there's lots of different causes for baldness but I've been told diet is quite common. If they feed dry and didn't want to change they could try a different kibble.

I hope this helps.

Cheers Leigh

jjbulls

Post by jjbulls » April 26th, 2010, 10:08 pm

well to be honist ... she is fed on sausages & dogbiscuits , she is a very loved dog ... overloved is not allways good for them ...? i know

LeighandApple

Post by LeighandApple » April 26th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Might be worth them trying a totally different food, could save them loads in vets fees. If they choose to stick with dog biscuits make sure the new one has totally different ingredients. When I fed my previous dogs on kibble it was the gluten that would upset their stomachs so I switched to gluten free and all better.

Cheers Leigh.

jjbulls

Post by jjbulls » April 27th, 2010, 6:22 am

Thanks Leigh. for your info.. ill pass it on..

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » April 27th, 2010, 5:27 pm

it might be something diff but wet dog foos like tinned stuff and them rolls aint the best the the ingrediants are crapy 9 times out of 10 i have had probs with winston for years and its only the food that works i feed fish4dogs its brill its just fish and potatos no cereal or fillers dogs are not made to eat cereals like us they need meat or fish thats why they have moutins for stoles because most of the cereals and filler come stright out the other end

i also give macrel and other oily fish over the kibble it helps with the skin also the fish4dogs do a good oil u poor over the food

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Categories/Dog ... l-dog.aspx
i feed this kibble and highly recomend it its only 26% protine but they can use all of that 26% were if its a cereal based food they prob only get the same but have to work harder to extract the goodness it good for pups to
http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/Salmo ... -Dogs.aspx

jd's Bullies
Donator
Donator

Post by jd's Bullies » April 27th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Hope this helps-from a vet that is very practical and not like most after cash.
Eveining primrose tabs-one a day for adults-for your dog-one am -one pm-no harm in this and backs up the promotion of healthy skin-

Also stay away from chicken based foods for a while-many dogs have problems using the protein in chicken, and usually the skin suffers 1st.

Also E45 cream-helps keep the skin protected while the coat returns.

Either way I wouldn't be happy relying on steroid based creams.

If all persists- the Vetzime cream treatment-does give results-but it often gets worse before correcting itself.

Good luck :thumbsup:

jjbulls

Post by jjbulls » April 28th, 2010, 6:24 am

Thanks j,d..... certianly a different tack on the problem ..very interesting.. I am passing on all this info to Frank .. Cleo,s owner .. i think its gonna be a case on trying to determine if she has skin mites ..? & once she is clear of them.. then this evening primrose tabs & E45 treatment hopefully maintain her healthy coat...along with a change of diat...! ....Many thanks to you all for your replies............john.

jd's Bullies
Donator
Donator

Post by jd's Bullies » April 28th, 2010, 7:06 am

No problem-your welcome-and the product is actually Nzymes-my mistake.
If its actually skin mite then its even easier- some of the flea tick treatments manage this well. :thumbsup:

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » May 7th, 2010, 10:05 am

alright john tell ur friend i to get some of that salmon oil made by fish4dogs i have been feeding a teaspoon in storms daily feed and after a week i can defo see a big diff she almost looks wet its well worth the money mate the odd tin of sardines or macrel over her food will work well just to keep her coat nice wen the prob is solved