temperaments pit's and staffs

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
Bird
temperaments pit's and staffs

Post by Bird » April 24th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Having had both above over the years, and bullmastiffs .I found in general , apbt's were bit more aloof type temp. where as most staffs ive been around and seen, norm loved all people, pits were similar to there owners , but not like staffs that love everybody there meet .lol Bullmastiffs bit like pits but a stronger guard instinct , even though some pits or staffs can be not bad watch dogs . i keep lurchers, and have done for 30 years, i came out of bull breeds , more so bullmastiffs because they were and are very unhealthy dogs, they get HD and not long lived 8-9 thats about it with them. i liked lurchers , because they are healthy, long lived and not to expensive to buy , most go at £ 100-200 , not like some ped dogs that sell for silly money, i met bloke with a labpoodle and a cockerpoo on my dog walk , labpoodle was £800 , cockerpoo £900 . i said to the bloke, we got the same type dogs, as my 2 are 1x collie x grey and a 1x gsd x grey, in other words = lurchers, he said what do you mean?, i said both of my 2 dogs are cross breeds like yours, but my 2 dogs only cost me £ 200 , £ 100 quid each dog, and from different breeders by the way. the bloke said these are pets what are they then,? i said the same prob more healthy , and they could catch there own dinner if need be lol, he was stumped he couldn't say nothing lol. my next dog will be a small type lurcher, as i am getting older i want small er dog. My 1x gsd x grey is 28in 85 lb a big old lump , he 5 this year, my other lurcher 1x collie x grey 25 in 60lb he 10 this year, so i was thinking for the future , of a 1x pit x whippet , nice dog pup prob make about 22in 45 lb , make nice size as house dog. only prob you dont see this type x about much, but as they say you never know what tomorrow brings Ray (y)

here is my 1x gsd x grey big dog , but great temp with people and dogs, just big softy really lol and my 1x collie x grey ,similar temp

Bullseye
I think you're all great people! xx
I think you're all great people! xx

Re: temperaments pit's and staffs

Post by Bullseye » April 25th, 2017, 1:41 am

Well they are some fine dogs you have there, our Bullseye is ten and still just as healthy as he was at 4, I guess it depends on what you want from a dog really....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

Bird

Re: temperaments pit's and staffs

Post by Bird » April 25th, 2017, 10:54 am

thanks, yeh the collie x grey , can still jump a 5bar gate when he as to.Both have been working dogs catching rabbits day/night (lamping) and as most lurcher have good % of running dog in them, give them speed, but the thing about running type dogs(greyhound,whippets,salukis, deerhound,) are norm the types used to x to other breeds to make a lurcher, what 3 vets told me from different practices , is the above breeds dont suffer the health probs that most breeds get ,HD, elbow probs, etc they are quite long lived as well, in general they are a healthy type dog. Same as my big 1x gsd x grey , as he 1/2 gsd =4/8 i asked the vets if he suffer with HD like most gsd's do , he said if did get it, it wont be as bad as pure gsd , who get it really bad in the breed , labs get it as well both these breeds there hips are gone by 4- 6 year old. My 1x gsd x grey his dam the gsd as lot of e/europe in lines and there are more healthy , than the gsd over in the UK, the police have started to x bel mals to gsds to get better dogs, bel mals being smaller and lighter frame dogs are more healthy than most gsds . Thats why i want a 1x pit x whippet , as i know it will be a healthy type dog, ive knows few staffs and pits get HD ,and being honest it did surprise me, i didnt think it was in these 2 breeds , but few do get it , more so norm the bigger the dogs , i had a pit bitch fair few years ago reid lines brindle 20in 60lb, great temp loved people , and ok with dogs if they were ok with her, she had got HD , so had to be very careful that you never over done any exercise with her. yeh lurchers are great dogs, and pit x whippet be great little dog , no hurry but next on my list if i can get a genuine line bred one, but you get lot of people in lurcher who sell you anything , to make few quid lol , you got to be careful deff .!