Those darn Ticks and how to remove them

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
thedogmother
Those darn Ticks and how to remove them

Post by thedogmother » October 22nd, 2015, 4:06 pm

So whenever someone says to me my dog has a Tick I have always told them to coat them in Vaseline to suffocate them making the easier to remove and less likely to leave any part of the Tick inside to cause an infection but this can make the Tick sick hence putting back toxins into the dog so now just get a fine pair of tweezers and put the tweezers as close as you can to the skin and pull straight upwards removing the Tick it may leave some parts of the Tick in the skin but that is something you will have to keep an eye on and treat as necessary

Lyme Disease:

This is something we all have to think about its caused by Ticks but it is worth pointing out that not all ticks have Lymes Disease and with a dog its much harder to see right off but in Humans after the removal of the Tick there will be a bulls-eye type Rash that comes up and if you see this type of rash then see your GP as soon as possible as that shows that the Tick does have Lymes disease you can however get your dog Vaccinated for Lymes disease if they are prone to getting them .

Missy Truman

Re: Those darn Ticks and how to remove them

Post by Missy Truman » October 22nd, 2015, 9:42 pm

Oooh I never knew you could get them vaccinated for that! I agree with the vasaline and same goes for putting any substance on them I think

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 ] Image

Trisha

Post by Trisha » October 22nd, 2015, 10:05 pm

Never knew either...heard that if a cotton budis used it is great to remove all the tick...video might be on you tube..

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy Note 3 ] Image

moocher

Post by moocher » February 24th, 2022, 3:48 pm

thanks for that i didnot know you could vaccinate againste limes disease ill check that out,ive had ticks and do the same as above