Separation anxiety

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
thedogmother
Re: Separation anxiety

Post by thedogmother » October 16th, 2015, 8:58 pm

I would recommend mince beef or chicken, raw feed being a natural diet it will reduce the size of the poop & make it stiffer, also it will smell less, there will also be less of it, so in theory less or even none at all in the house, Bullseye once ate a bar of soap & as you can imagine he was pooing bubbles for days, but we tried him on a bit of raw for only one day & his turds were back to normal as a matter of fact better than before, bones are good too...

Tina

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 16th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Wow that sounds great - it makes a lot of sense actually. I've had dogs all of my life but have never fed raw food - even bones have caused us trouble so I need to take a chance here! Saying that I'll try it as something has to give, we can't keep going like this. Really appreciate your feedback and so glad I joined the forum, it's helped a lot! Thank you. :pup:

Helen

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » October 16th, 2015, 9:50 pm

You're welcome, bones are fine, just make sure the dogs are separate when they're having them, hopefully the raw feed should do the trick @missy truman feed her dogs raw all the time, let us know how you get on with it :)

Tina x

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 16th, 2015, 10:00 pm

We're gonna cut down the food first and take out the wet completely. Then we will try him with some raw when we know how much to give him and go from there. Will keep you posted. Thanks Helen. (y)

Missy Truman

Post by Missy Truman » October 18th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Hi Helen, sorry I'm sure it says higher up but what did you say you feed him? Cutting the food down sounds like a good idea (y) when I used to feed my boy on dry food he would poo and wee an awful lot and I really struggled with house training. Since I moved him to raw he's not had one accident and he can actually go through the night without needing to go out to the toilet :pray: :pawprint:

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 ] Image

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 18th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Hi. We feed him wainwrights complete with turkey and rice with a tiny bit of wet food. From what I have learned we are feeding him too much as he is overweight (25kg). The dog mother suggests 1 meal a day and said that u feed your dog on a raw diet all of the time and it has lots of benefits. We had a chat about poos (nice!) and decided that he is literally full of it! My friend also has working whippets and collies amongst other dogs and feeds them all raw food. Had a chat with her tonight and she told me that poultry is a no no for dogs with a sensitive digestive system which billy certainly has and she suggested red meats only :pup: :pup: . So, all in all, we have taken the wet food out of his diet, are cutting down on the complete and plan to swap them both onto raw and hopefully that will help. :pup:

Missy Truman

Post by Missy Truman » October 19th, 2015, 10:08 am

Yes that's right, mine haven't eaten any dry food in years now haha! I notice you said that poultry is a nono but the dry food is turkey? I wouldn't be so sure to rule out feeding him any poultry until you actually know he's alergic. Chicken is a great protein to start with for a few weeks and then slowly add another protein every few weeks. Ideally they should be fed no less than 4 different proteins. Mine mainly get fish (sprats/ mackerel/ salmon/ sardines) rabbit (good as it's low in fat) chicken, venison and beef. They also get pork, duck, lamb and Turkey but not as their main diet just because I can't source these cheaply like the rest. I don't weigh out my lots food I just go by how they look but I always stick to the 80/10/10 ratio (80%muscle meat 10% offal and 10% bone) as it would be as a whole animal

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 19th, 2015, 11:07 am

Hi. I think there is so much conflicting information out there it's sometimes hard to know what's right and what's wrong! I agree with the poultry and always thought that was better for them, although my friends German shepherd is allergic to chicken which is probably where she is coming from. I think when I do start them on raw I will give everything a try over time - they'll decide what they don't like I guess. I had read about the 80/10/10 ratio and I know the supplier does base their food on the same. Finally I know some people use a dry mixer, but also read that confuses their system as they process protein and carbs differently. Any advice on that one? Thanks Helen (y)

Missy Truman

Post by Missy Truman » October 19th, 2015, 1:40 pm

I know Helen it's so confusing isn't it! Lol good luck :pray: :pup: (y)

Bullseye
I think you're all great people! xx
I think you're all great people! xx

Post by Bullseye » October 19th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Tigerlily wrote:Hi. I think there is so much conflicting information out there it's sometimes hard to know what's right and what's wrong! I agree with the poultry and always thought that was better for them, although my friends German shepherd is allergic to chicken which is probably where she is coming from. I think when I do start them on raw I will give everything a try over time - they'll decide what they don't like I guess. I had read about the 80/10/10 ratio and I know the supplier does base their food on the same. Finally I know some people use a dry mixer, but also read that confuses their system as they process protein and carbs differently. Any advice on that one? Thanks Helen (y)

I am a tad skeptical about the dry mixer foods to be honest, I feed my dog's 2 mug fulls of pero premium a day, if they're working I will sometimes up it to 4 but not in one go, they have 2 in the morning & 2 in the evening, I would say & I am taking a wild stab here, but your boy should do quite well on 2 mug fulls a day of dry feed, I normally feed my dogs in the evening when they are only being fed once a day, on occasions they have a week on raw mince beef, which they seem to do really well on & of course like my Mum (thedogmother) has said smaller turds & less of them ;-)

Keep us posted! :pup:

~John~
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.