Separation anxiety

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
Bullseye
I think you're all great people! xx
I think you're all great people! xx
Re: Separation anxiety

Post by Bullseye » October 12th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Yes & well done, crate, bed, own room the personal space is key, it's just that we happen to use crates, but each dog is different & if that works for you then fair play, as long as you don't change direction even if he slips back, keep going in the same direction, never be disheartened if a dog "goes backwards" start as you mean to go on! :)

Well done & again keep us posted :)

~John~
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 16th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Well we had three clean days and nights but now we have gone back to toileting during the night and then toileting with bed shredding during the day. This seems to be the pattern - he can do it for a short while and then goes back to his old ways. I'm gonna keep going with the routine but I am fed up with it all. After 3 years I wish I could work out what the triggers are cos I feel that we must be missing a trick somewhere! Any suggestions?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » October 16th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Do you walk him before or after his meals?

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 16th, 2015, 8:03 pm

He is walked in a morning then has breakfast. Walked during the day before his tea and then again before bed time. The timings vary depending on who is around. 8-)

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » October 16th, 2015, 8:09 pm

It is always best to walk after a food, if he is being fed twice a day, how much is he having & how much does he weigh, this could be relevant...

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 16th, 2015, 8:15 pm

He weighs 25kg and has 350g of wainwrights light turkey and rice complete with a tiny bit of wet food mixed in. We had loads of bother with his diet when we first got him so have taken a long time to get him settled.

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » October 16th, 2015, 8:22 pm

25kgs is about 55lbs, it sounds like he is a little over weight, you may need to reduce his food a little & perhaps change it to 1 feed a day, you see if he is eating to much it could give him a belly ache, which could be the cause for the bed shredding & of course pooing, what are his poos like?

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 16th, 2015, 8:30 pm

That's a really fair point - he's full of sh****! Especially when you consider the crap he eats when he's off the leader if we don't catch him in time. His poos are big for being the smaller dog, compared to the size of Lily who is much bigger. There always seems to be a lot of it at any point in the day or whenever he's on a walk regardless of what he's eaten. Sometimes when he's out they seem whipped up - a bit like him - frenzied and anxious. Hope that makes sense!

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » October 16th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Yes, you really need to do away with the wet food, there really is no need for it & reduce each feed, maybe try a little raw feed in the evening, as he is having dry food he must have at all times fresh water, plus if you have more than one dog they will eat for England lol, even if they have just had a bucket of grub & that will only result in more pooing, also if they don't get enough water they will get a belly ache & it will make them nervous & consequently more shredding.

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » October 16th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Water is never an issue as there's always two big bowls topped up all of the time but I do take your point about the food. They eat separately so he can't get more than his share but I will certainly cut down on his food and try tea time feeds only. When you say raw - what kind of meat and what are the benefits? As I said earlier we had real problems with diarrhoea when we first got him - he seems a very sensitive dog - I'm a bit unsure about feeding him raw food. 8-)