Weight pull questions???

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
Btrice13
Weight pull questions???

Post by Btrice13 » August 21st, 2015, 10:51 pm

I have a bully who just turned 5 I got him a harness on eBay and I'm gonna order him a weight sled to pull but I started him out on just walking with the harness then walking and pulling a rope attached, now he's up to pulling a small tire that doesn't weigh much. I know it's a crappy set up but I'm just letting him get used to having alittle weight behind him....... It's really not heavy at all. My question is how long should the chain be behind him that attaches to his weight sled? How much weight and how long should he be pulling it for? And when to step up to more weight? But mostly just the length of the chain I need to make to attach to his weight sled? Where can I get a weight sled that I've seen those dogs starting off with pulling through the grass? Thank you!
image.jpg
image.jpg (310.68KiB)Viewed 2210 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (292.27KiB)Viewed 2210 times
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bullseye
I think you're all great people! xx

Re: Weight pull questions???

Post by Bullseye » August 21st, 2015, 11:07 pm

Ok well going by the pics it appears that he's fairly confident with pulling already :)
The length I would recommend for the tracer/rope/chain ect would be between 2 to 3 foot, a car tyre is more than adequate in my opinion although we do make sleds, not sure how much it would be to post one to you though, however what I did before my sled was made is, I used a car tyre and I put a piece of hardboard in the bottom of it to stop the weights from falling out of the bottom lol... as regard weight increments when I started Bullseye out I had him pulling 5lbs then I upped by that amount every week, I was training him every other day, but it got to a point where I could up it by 10 or 20lbs, of course you can vary this depending on how well he is progressing, some dogs will take to it sooner than others, your boy seems to have taken to it like a duck to water, weight pull is all about taking your time and keeping it fun :)

Hope this helps :))

~John~
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

Btrice13

Post by Btrice13 » August 22nd, 2015, 2:17 am

Thanks so much brotha yeah he actually did pretty good never looked back or stopped just walked right along with me. I might sent you a pm if I don't find any sleds anytime soon. I've been seeing some of those football sleds players push around the field maybe I can make that work.....I'm very new to this I'm just wanting to make sure I don't hurt him or rig something up terribly wrong! I like this sight!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bullseye

Post by Bullseye » August 22nd, 2015, 6:17 pm

Glad you like it here, if you want to order a sled, I'll see how much it would cost to ship it :) feel free to pm me :)

Good to hear that he is doing well with the pulling, as for hurting him don't worry, the worst that could happen is that it would be too difficult for him to pull, but I can't see that happening either, like I say keep it fun and take your time and he'll be pulling like a boss in no time :)

~John~
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.