venison

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
bruser
venison

Post by bruser » May 6th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Does any one feed venison as the main meat source would it affect energy and coat condition

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bullrover

Re: venison

Post by Bullrover » May 7th, 2013, 7:24 pm

No my lads only had odd bits here and there, but it is very lean and low in fat so you may need to add other things into the diet.

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » May 7th, 2013, 10:10 pm

I get it but again it's every now and then but mixed into a balanced diet am sure they will be fine the bones are a bit hard thou u need to watch them I don't feed any weight baring bones at all just ribs and softer stuff mix it with somthing with a bit if fat and some of the offal not just the muscle meat ?? How much u got I can always come and take some off your hands ;-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » May 7th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I might start feeding more game food to mine you think a wood pigeon would be worth plucking and cleaning for a dogs meal or not a nuff meat to bone ratio ?? My staff loves the breasts warm right out the tree lol ( I shoot it 1st and pluck n breast )

bruser

Post by bruser » May 7th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Got two red deer but giving my mate one he gave me one of his fell terrier pups so im giving him one. Was feeding chicken and tripe from daf but my stafford put alot of weight on even though i was working him so thought venison with heart and liver and greens might help cheers all

bruser

Post by bruser » May 7th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Erm yeh just not the guts etc. If we get any more bambi il sort you out with a carcase mate. Got asked to ring a few cockrels for a female farmer so necked 4 she said i can have em causethey dont have much meat so happy days

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » May 7th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Sweet mate did u shoot them your self

I know a old boy that sells it cheap but he butchers it nice his fillet steaks are wicked 20 quid for 2 nice size steaks and he gives me harts lungs tounge I got a 1/4 of a fallow once because hd shot it in the shoulder and ruined the front half of the meat

My staffs putting weight on snd I thought it was the daf food but she don't get much as if is 3/4 lbs of chicken mince or a carcass and a few tripe chucks but forgot to get oat out the freezer so they have had turky breasts from sainsburys just hope there wasnt any nasties in the turky it was fresh bit been frozen but my Stafford eat it and she ain't daft she seems to know and leaves it for winston to eat lol

Ill see if there shitting though the eye if a niddle tomoz or not its only like a detox for a day clears them out lol

bruser

Post by bruser » May 8th, 2013, 1:03 am

You have a pm mickey and think am gona give them it with offal etc as my stafford has got older he seems to look at food and put weight on gona get him running up hills more but as its summer no running bunnys till harvest time

suedehead

Post by suedehead » January 29th, 2014, 7:13 pm

used to feed quite a bit of roe to the dogs only once or twice a week mainly rib cage ,organs and complete heads,not enough fat content to be a staple diet but now and again found it provides a good meal for them .

Bird

Post by Bird » February 17th, 2014, 9:37 am

I feed most raw mince chicken+ dry meal every day, with venison or rabbit , I always boil up.The reason 1st it kills any worms, 2nd it to rich for my dogs and they get bad shits from it . I think if you feed them it as pups regular there belly gets used to it, but I only get deer now+then when I go out with the dog, prob rabbits the most .!