HELP - Maisie Biting

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
RichieBoy
HELP - Maisie Biting

Post by RichieBoy » March 9th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Hello,
Can anybody help please.... Maisie (blue irish staffie) is nearly 10 weeks old and likes to nip and bite. I know it's play but i'm concerned that it may carry on into adulthood. When i give her a tap on the nose she just thinks it's a game and gets more aggressive, growls then goes mental around the house.
Can anyone give me some pointers as to what i should be doing as I have a 2 year old niece that I want her to be able to meet without worry. Many thanks! Richie.

RichieBoy

Re: HELP - Maisie Biting

Post by RichieBoy » March 9th, 2010, 3:58 pm

She also snarles if we pick her up when she doesn't want to be picked up?

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » March 9th, 2010, 9:31 pm

hi mate thats just her being a puppy and wanting to play storm my pup is 6 m/o and still nips wen she get excited but u have to tell them off for it use a rolled up news papper i taped one togeter then wen they nip wack in on the floor and shout NO u have to mean it its hard to tell a pup of for just playing but sooner they no its wrong the better u have to do it every time there never aloud to put there teeth on a human like i said mine is 6 months and still gives the odd nip but its not hard no more she has nipped the kids so hard wen she was yonger u just have to keep tellin them really they will grow out of it even if ur play fighting or messing around still tell her off for biteing u but still play they lern to play nice once they no there doing some thing wrong ;)

jjbulls

Post by jjbulls » March 10th, 2010, 6:29 am

Hi Richie & Helen, ...the key is Routine...!! play time is ..playtime .. dinner time ..always the same .. excercise .. also the same & loads of fun... But your quiet time is YOUR time & not to be mistaken ..!! if she continues to want to bite & play after youve said firmly stop .. then put her outside or in her crate till she calms down..! nipping & ragging ..!! & playfighting are all part of being a puppy .. Lol..! she must learn when to stop.. thats all ... ...................jj :nana5:

RichieBoy

Post by RichieBoy » March 10th, 2010, 6:48 pm

Thanks to you both! Will start being strict from now on. Still a big learning curve for us and we want to bring her up to be a good girl. Thanks again! Richie

jjbulls

Post by jjbulls » March 10th, 2010, 10:57 pm

But hey , you guys..! you must remember that she will still be a little pupy for some monthes yet ..! so puppies do wot puppies do ..!! thats lots of biting & playing .. after 4-5 monthes you can start to train her. untill then hide your shoes, slippers T. shirts & Ruggs... ..................jj :nana5: