Might have to led one of my dogs go

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
mandog

Post by mandog » February 24th, 2012, 10:31 am

Unfortunately I have come to thinking I might have to let one of them go, which one I don't know, I can't make my mind up.
I really don't want to do this but I have a very bad knee problem now coupled with arthritis and they aint getting the attention they need.
They get exercised everyday in a field but I can no longer walk them . Having one is fine but 2 they are not, they are hyped to say the least.
Any body else in the same position?

pendlewitch

Re: Might have to led one of my dogs go

Post by pendlewitch » February 24th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Yep me. Only way I found to deal with it is meds/knee support. Way I look at is, your in pain no matter what you do, so do what you like and sod it.

mandog

Post by mandog » February 24th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Good advice.

oldetyme

Post by oldetyme » February 25th, 2012, 2:32 pm

mandog wrote:Unfortunately I have come to thinking I might have to let one of them go, which one I don't know, I can't make my mind up.
I really don't want to do this but I have a very bad knee problem now coupled with arthritis and they aint getting the attention they need.
They get exercised everyday in a field but I can no longer walk them . Having one is fine but 2 they are not, they are hyped to say the least.
Any body else in the same position?

i know how you feel mate, i have a bad back at the moment (not sure how long it will take to recover, if it does!!) Can't you just take one out at a time for a short walk!!! at least that way you can keep them and you know they will be ok. as for extra exercise, tread mill, ball chucker, flirt pole, springpole and free running ect. hope it all works out for you. personally if i was faced with in the same position with my two, i would rather have them put to sleep as i couldn't bear the thought of re-homing them with someone else. best wishes ian.

mandog

Post by mandog » February 25th, 2012, 5:00 pm

I feel the sale way mate, strange as it seems I would feel better having one put down than it go to someone I don't know. A bit like the feeling I would get rid of both of them instead of one, it's just too hard to consider. Sometimes you get the feeling you can't live with them and you can't live without them.
I think I'm gonna keep both it was just a bad day the other day. I will get a treadmill.
I have something called runners knee, it's so bad no I'm having both legs operated on this year.
I've spend thousands in the last couple of years becoming a qualified plumber/gas safe. Feels like it was all for nothing, dr told me to get a desk job a job like plumbing will make my arthritis worse.
Oh well I still have my family and dogs I suppose.

oldetyme

Post by oldetyme » February 26th, 2012, 7:16 pm

hi mandog
i was born with bad legs and now i have a bad back too "still, i find its a great ice breaker when you meet new people" lol. seriously, i think these might be the last staffords i keep, think i might just get me a couple of border terriers. hope you are able to keep your dogs mate. I feel for you bud, spending thousands on a new career and now finding you are unable to do it, hope things get better in the future for you and as you say, you still have your family and dogs and that important. atb ian.

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » February 26th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Am sorry to hear about this mandog good luck with your knee ops pal keep ya chin up mate as long as ur dogs are gettin took out they will be happy a nuff some dogs never get walked or most get one on a Sunday if its not raining lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mandog

Post by mandog » February 26th, 2012, 8:54 pm

I'm gonna let Leo go.
I just don't feel I can take on 2 dogs especially when the mrs don't help at all. I've spent to much time finding a field were no other dog is around and to only have the farmers come up and have a go.
It was alright when I could cycle but I can't do that at all, my knee won't take bending.
I have to follow my head on this.

mandog

Post by mandog » February 27th, 2012, 6:19 pm

I'm not putting him down but selling him for £100. Comes with papers , microchipped, cage, 2" collar. He does not pull on the lead and can heal . Will leave stuff on command.
He has huge prey drive and great strength and speed. 21" to 22" tall.

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » February 27th, 2012, 9:40 pm

He sounds a cracker ...if I was in ur boat pal I would be looking for some one that loves doing these shows and events and least then u no he is well exercised and u get to see him wen u like at shows and thing and u will see loads of pics.... if ur really considering it ill ask about for you I would love to have him but my mrs would kill me and Winston won't have a male in the house .....could u not give him to some one close so least u see him wen u want .......

[ Post made via Android ] Image