weight pull right or wrong

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!

How would you have your dog pull?

Collar (unbaited)
3%
Harness (unbaited)
75%
Collar (baited)
5%
Harness (baited)
18%

Total votes: 40

Bullseye
I think you're all great people! xx
I think you're all great people! xx
Re: weight pull right or wrong

Post by Bullseye » January 2nd, 2012, 5:12 pm

I think the reason there are more people voting in favor of unbaited in a harness, rather than commenting, is because they're half afraid of getting shot down in flames, but they won't on here :)

Its a debate and everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

~John~
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » January 2nd, 2012, 10:08 pm

With the lure in a race that is the only way u can get them to run fast as they can other then the real thing.... thats better then any poo bag or lure .....but its just how a race with dogs works they Chase somthing .....on the a frame again they won't keep up the pace for a min just on voice comand..... and i think people think the same with weight pull wave there toy in front they will pull like fook but imo its more about techniques then sheer power how do small pits like the small black dog milo from the states pulls 215% 6000lbs for a 30 or 40lbs dogs...... I think most bait because they get ressults quick but surely wen it comes to big weights like that ur going to have to train for it .......only way to get the techniques is to train for it surly wen u get ur dog to the big weights and u bait the dog has trained that much he knows why he is in the harness and on the track and pulls to u any way because they should no why there there and do there job regardless of the bait at that point ?? I think for those that say there dogs won't up unbaited just put more time in and slowly removed the bait till the dog just uses the bait to get going then not at all over time I think would work

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mark lamont
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by mark lamont » January 3rd, 2012, 7:16 pm

your right mickey training is the key and a willing dog but you need something to pull and a place to do it otherwise the only chance you get is at events the only training our dogs have had at puling is at events

our first time pulling was at eds show at lightwater and we pretty much watched then had a go obviously copying the tactics that were being used he did get to do it on command at essex dog sports and got to wp3 at the time we would just hook him up walk to the end and he would just pull now he wont pull perhaps we should of kept it up or hes just not willing to do it now unless lured

heres a clip you should recognise some of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rnrq4b ... P7SRxsjthT

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » January 3rd, 2012, 7:34 pm

Good clip pal .....u can see ur dog in his 1st pull he don't give a sh*t about that lure he's looking at u doing it for u ......and that red dog after pups pull he has the technique the toys doin note

I suppose its like oat if u really enjoy it u get dedecated I find it really hard to train my dogs mate I finish work at 4 play with the lil one till bed time 7 then take the dogs so its pitch black I have to take both or the other sits the crying and wakes the baby that's why storm ain't as good as Winston not much one on one time like ....so wen I do go I have to get the harness in the car about 100lbs of weights I use chains mostly and go to the park were its a lil bit light over the time I think every one in my village as asked Wat am doin so they leave me now I get the odd Awww poor dog lol but its not easy for me mate I also travel 50miles to upf. to train but its my chosen sport some like to do a bit of every thing and totaly understand were ur coming from mark

mark lamont
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by mark lamont » January 3rd, 2012, 9:05 pm

the red dog is gentrys boomer some of the lads up at sheffield should remember him and speakmans pup

murphy was a pretty good puller honours thing was a frame but nell is what we wanted an allrounder were gonna try her a bit more on pulling hopefully see how we get on

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » January 3rd, 2012, 9:57 pm

They defo no pup we have spoke about him a bit he was a good puller wasn't he never seen him my self but the stories I have been told every one said the same but again its just practice most of the pics u see of pup he's in the harness and like u say some dogs just prefer other things to others like at 1st my mate was always tellin me storm won't ever pull she don't like it .....but she was just new to it took me over a year off practice to get het to pull a fragment off the dogs in comp but I paid my fee just to let her roll around on the track.... at 1st she would just roll over and play dead and still dose it wen the going gets tuff but its not that she can't do it she don't no how but sure I will get her there in the end

I asked the lady or she gave me some advise in usa with the little dog milo who is a machine ...how they train for comps she said its on the drag pulls u never let them stop pulling on there own ie quit or he will do it in comps use a lead on the weight to help the dog if he starts to slows so he don't stop and she puts one on the collar to stop them sniffing and that .....I used to do that and its. the best way I found to drag pull but I have always got both dogs now and 4 leads don't work lol

But its the drag pulling I think they learn most of there techniques any way just a bit of heavy chain and a harness

oldetyme

Post by oldetyme » January 31st, 2012, 8:54 pm

mickey, so do you attache the lead to the chain that their pulling and one to their collar to stop them sniffing? as i'm just about to start training my bitch roxy, sorry didn't quite understand your post, have i got it right? ian.

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » January 31st, 2012, 9:36 pm

Yes mate but Wat I was trying to say is I have to take both dogs at once now so 4 leads don't work very well but its a good way to train... if u look. on sacs forum I think on one of my video post nYanky explains it a lot better then me

I'll find the link for u if I can pal

oldetyme

Post by oldetyme » January 31st, 2012, 9:46 pm

yeah, would appreciate it if you could bud. muchos gratious.

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » January 31st, 2012, 9:50 pm

[quote author=nyankee board=mv thread=3678 post=39155 time=1306844524]
Always have a helping lead on the end of the harness,and a lead on the collar as well.The lead on the collar just should be there to not to let the dog sniff or turn etc,and it should be always loose not tight.The end lead should help the dog to NEVER stop!It should be always tight,so when you feel he's slowing down,you can pull it a help the dog a little.When you let your dog stop on it's own,instead of helping him through the hard parts,he will give up in competition as well.
Also never take more then one dog each time.
With you stopping for one dog,the other has to stop too.In the video it can be seen the little dog on your other side not learning anything when you dragging her with the big fella.You should be concentrating on each dog. ;) [/quote]

This is what she said u no who am talking about she has that lil dog milo about 40lbs and pulls about 6million lbs lol

Am sure there was a tread on drag pulling and she gave loads of good tips