weight pull right or wrong

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!

How would you have your dog pull?

Collar (unbaited)
3%
Harness (unbaited)
75%
Collar (baited)
5%
Harness (baited)
18%

Total votes: 40

oldetyme
Re: weight pull right or wrong

Post by oldetyme » January 31st, 2012, 9:58 pm

cheers pal, have read it before and seen milo doing his stuff, thanks for putting it up and it makes sense what she is saying!

peanut

Post by peanut » April 12th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Hi, Just reading through and I know I'm a year and a bit late on this one but thought I would weigh in with my opinions. I can't talk from experience because my dog's have never pulled before (Hopefully soon) but with regards to pulling on a collar the strain and trauma that can cause to muscles is fairly great, the same as when a dog pulls on it's lead. I would want to spread the weight evenly over them as I'm sure we all agree the health and safety is paramount. With regards to luring or baiting I think my dog would think I had lost my mind. They have both been brought up to categorically not chase animals, we live in a fairly rural area and the last thing I would want is for them to go bolting off after livestock. We also have cat's and I don't need the dog's getting their arses kicked by the felines! Another point is with all the bad press about bull breeds it will do them no favours when I hear my neighbours screaming that my dog's are playing with their cat's, kid's guinea pig's etc..
If my dog's are going to pull I want them to do it because they enjoy it, get a sense of pride and trust me, again like I said if I tried to get them to chase something they would think mum had lost the plot. If that means they will never pull as much, run as fast, jump as many times....so what, we would be there for our mutual enjoyment.
Last point I think someone mention about by clapping and calling your dog you yourself are becoming the bait or lure but I believe there is a huge difference in encouragement, support and belief of your animal than luring it. Luring and baiting implies trickery to me, I don't want my dog's to be tricked into anything. I want them to do it because they trust my judgement.
Anyways that's my uneducated viewpoint on this debate!

Bullseye
I think you're all great people! xx

Post by Bullseye » April 12th, 2013, 10:44 pm

And a very valid point too, most weight pull organisations don't allow baiting, because it looks unprofessional, it frustrates the dog and could potentially harm them in the long run, I've seen people very nearly get a nasty bite from their dogs as a result of baiting, some of Eastern European groups allow baiting, but if you look at some of the handlers watching on the sidelines they often have their fingers and hands bandaged up..... I wonder why lol

I like seeing the weight pull pictures of dogs with their heads down, because it looks like the dog is saying "I'm gonna do this sh*t!..... cool man... real chilled 8-) "

Where as the baited pics look like they're saying..... "I'm so flipping p**sed at you!!!! gimme that f**king toy, you arse :mad: !!!!"

Just the way I see it :)

~John~
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

peanut

Post by peanut » April 12th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Exactly, that's what I want from Tyler, us working as a team and do give him a sense of pride. I want him to pull because thats what he enjoys, as opposed to I want that toy so this load has to come as well. And if im truly honestly I don't think he would work for any toy more than he would work for me. He gets more gratification from my praise and pleasure in him than any toy or food. I just don't want to have to trick him or bribe him into pulling, if that was they case I just wouldn't bother. For me he has to get just as much enjoyment out of it. How would people ever get huskys to pull, it would be never ending, you would need a team in front of your team to bait them, then a team in front of that team to bait the baiting team and so on. They do it because they have been trained correctly and enjoy the job they do. I stand by the quote "a happy dog is a dog with a job".
They feel a sense of pride just as we do and is there a species on thos earth more eager to please humans?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bob

Post by bob » April 13th, 2013, 12:16 am

Since having Tigger and doing weight pull with him (he is most bull minded of our x breed dogs) after a few near misses on the a frame when he gets in one of his over exited moods, there's no way I would risk him becoming like that in public and possibly biting someone. He is a rescue dog so has some issues and certain things just set him off.

Although he loves doing weight pull un baited, he gets exited but remains calm when he is harnessed up and is quite happy to pull on command (with very little input from me) for a cuddle at the end when the pull is completed. This is not perfect yet as he keeps trying to look for cuddles of the people doing the cart, but at least he is calm and having fun. Which as I have said before is all I do dog sports for, not really bothered if they win or loose so long as they had fun.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bullseye

Post by Bullseye » April 13th, 2013, 1:44 am

Welcome back Bob :) :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Yes indeed, that's what it's all about working together as a team with your dog, I don't really see it when folks bait because all the dog is thinking about is the toy :(

Nice to hear Tigger is doing good with the pulling, hows the harness going what we made for her?
peanut wrote:rk for me. He gets more gratification from my praise and pleasure in him than any toy or food. I just don't want to have to trick him or bribe him into pulling, if that was they case I just wouldn't bother. For me he has to get just as much enjoyment out of it. How would people ever get huskys to pull, it would be never ending, you would need a team in front of your team to bait them, then a team in front of that team to bait the baiting team and so on. They do it because they have been trained correctly and enjoy the job they do. I stand by the quote "a happy dog is a dog with a job".
They feel a sense of pride just as we do and is there a species on thos earth more eager to please humans?
That's what we always say, that would kind of defeat the object, if you had to bait a bunch of sled dogs to pull you may as well walk across the frozen north... rather than chance getting bit by a pack of pissed Huskies trying to get a toy or a chicken nugget..... oh crap I just had a mental picture in my head............. It's late lol :nana:

~John~

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

gunman

Post by gunman » April 15th, 2013, 7:19 pm

please do not get offended..

to me it's very simple

if i would need to bait my dog to pull i would either change dog or would get the dog to do something else

about test, to me unbaited tests will while baited test force, to me it's simple i do not need force if no mental strengh to move that force

to me wp is that, testing the dogs will to struggle against frustration

Bullseye

Post by Bullseye » April 15th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Bonne! :)

Yes I could not agree more!

We intend to remove baiting completely in England!

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

gunman

Post by gunman » April 19th, 2013, 12:46 am

good luck, i hope you can achieve it :thumbsup:

Bullseye

Post by Bullseye » April 19th, 2013, 5:44 pm

:)

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.