weight pull right or wrong

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!

How would you have your dog pull?

Collar (unbaited)
3%
Harness (unbaited)
75%
Collar (baited)
5%
Harness (baited)
18%

Total votes: 40

theoldgit
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!
weight pull right or wrong

Post by theoldgit » April 20th, 2011, 1:11 am

heres one for debate,as always people keep it civil,some of you will have your dog pull on collars and [or] baited,while others will go with the unbaited on command and frieghting type harness...........RIGHT OR WRONG this is another one in this section with a poll,but comment as well it makes it more interesting :coffee:
God put dogs on this earth in the hope that man might learn from them courage and loyalty!

LeighandApple

Re: weight pull right or wrong

Post by LeighandApple » April 20th, 2011, 1:52 pm

I voted "Harness unbaited"........no suprise there to those who know me :lolbonk: .

I'm at work at the moment so will post my reasons this evening.

Cheers Leigh

Lou
Donator
Donator

Post by Lou » April 20th, 2011, 2:32 pm

i voted harness un baited as thats how i roll!

mark lamont
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by mark lamont » April 22nd, 2011, 5:40 pm

i have to say i have pulled in a collar and baited thats the way it was done when i first came across weightpull by most dog owners but i prefer now to use a harness

i dont beleive that with the weights been pulled pulling in a collar is as bad as people make out no worse than a strong dog strainig at the leash on a collar especially if a choker is being used

as for bating what is classed as bating and why is it so wrong a toy is used on a frame a lure for running etc i appreciate some dogs go back and lunge into the pull but ive seen that both on dogs baited and un baited and whats the difference in using a ball or something or as seen getting on all fours and shouting pull etc

ive not voted yet but will prob go for baited with harness

mark lamont

now voted and its interesting that the votes are 5 for in harness unbaited
and 1 for harness baited in yet every time i go 90 % are baited with the exception of the sanctioned pulls

theoldgit
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by theoldgit » April 22nd, 2011, 7:45 pm

mark lamont wrote:i have to say i have pulled in a collar and baited thats the way it was done when i first came across weightpull by most dog owners but i prefer now to use a harness

i dont beleive that with the weights been pulled pulling in a collar is as bad as people make out no worse than a strong dog strainig at the leash on a collar especially if a choker is being used

as for bating what is classed as bating and why is it so wrong a toy is used on a frame a lure for running etc i appreciate some dogs go back and lunge into the pull but ive seen that both on dogs baited and un baited and whats the difference in using a ball or something or as seen getting on all fours and shouting pull etc

ive not voted yet but will prob go for baited with harness

mark lamont

now voted and its interesting that the votes are 5 for in harness unbaited
and 1 for harness baited in yet every time i go 90 % are baited with the exception of the sanctioned pulls

thanks for that mark,nice to see that i am not the only one that understands debate........come on guys where are you? :coffee: :congrats:
God put dogs on this earth in the hope that man might learn from them courage and loyalty!

Darren

Post by Darren » April 22nd, 2011, 11:00 pm

baited would allow the dogs natural tenacity and prey drive come through therefore higher weights being pulled, take for instance when you are bench pressing saying maybe three plates on each side you can only get to 8 reps on your second set then who ever is spotting for you starts calling you a wanker or or what ever you get those last two reps out because you wanna rip his head off.
My dogs can and do run fast when told 'go play' , but they are like missiles if theres a rabbit there.
If you arent allowed to bait then surely you shouldnt use a lure when racing?
Hypocrite!
why knock it? You all brag about your dogs ancestory.

Click >>here<< to delete me!

theoldgit
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by theoldgit » April 22nd, 2011, 11:35 pm

Darren wrote:baited would allow the dogs natural tenacity and prey drive come through therefore higher weights being pulled, take for instance when you are bench pressing saying maybe three plates on each side you can only get to 8 reps on your second set then who ever is spotting for you starts calling you a wanker or or what ever you get those last two reps out because you wanna rip his head off.
My dogs can and do run fast when told 'go play' , but they are like missiles if theres a rabbit there.
If you arent allowed to bait then surely you shouldnt use a lure when racing?
the thing is in this particular debate is that if you have a dog that will pull unbaited you can compete at sanctioned and non sanctioned events,we often pull against baited dogs at non sanctioned events and have found that there is little or no difference in the dogs performance either way,the rules adopted by the UPF here in the UK are the same as the US in the main,this is why we go for the no bait option,lots of the un sanctioned pulls are on x b/w and not in weight classes so really this is a difficult one to call,as for lure racing maybe this could be covered in another debate,after all there are more users here on the forum than darren and my self..................... :coffee: :lolbonk: :lolbonk:

Darren

Post by Darren » April 23rd, 2011, 6:37 am

it should be on body weight imo that way pound for pound you really do know which is the strongest.I have been looking around and the pulls seem very short in the 80/90s the pulls used to be over 50' maybe this would be when the baiting would help.Also I know of some dogs who just wouldnt pull, but put a traffic cone in front of them , then you had better watch out
Hypocrite!

theoldgit
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by theoldgit » April 23rd, 2011, 2:58 pm

Darren wrote:it should be on body weight imo that way pound for pound you really do know which is the strongest.I have been looking around and the pulls seem very short in the 80/90s the pulls used to be over 50' maybe this would be when the baiting would help.Also I know of some dogs who just wouldnt pull, but put a traffic cone in front of them , then you had better watch out

ok,lets deal with this in three parts,first off x b/w to simplify if you start with a small weight dog then double the b/w you get to a point where the weights will have a greater gap,eg.if a 1000cc car will do 100mph it will not follow that a 5000cc car will do 500mph,hence my case for weight classes,also imo the larger dogs could well disappear from the w/p scene,there is much to be said for both here i think.

length of pull?although there are rules laid down to this,this could be a way of testing the dog to decide the winner in a pull,we will be using a 30ft pull at tpr in june,this could be increased at the end to decide

as for the last one careful what you say as this debate is being monitored by c.u.n.t.s [cones under neglect & threat society]
i will add that because of the first part of my reply i feel i may well be inundated with u/tube clips of toy poodles pulling peterbilt semis with flat tyres.......... :lolbonk: but i think you all know what i mean

Darren

Post by Darren » April 23rd, 2011, 4:06 pm

the big dogs never disapeared before, and it only takes a few secs to weigh a dog, it has been said in sporting circles a pound difference in dogs = a stone to us, its for this reason that in history the dogs were opposite each other to the ounce(most of the time)
Hypocrite!