ok

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
Darren
ok

Post by Darren » October 22nd, 2011, 8:07 pm

so this is the only site that hasnt had a member contribute to the conditioning handbook (where asked) shame really as people from other sites where they werent asked have been offering articles, I suppose this post will be deleted, better cache it again as proof what do you expect where people think its ok for 8wk old pups to be pulling?
Hypocrite!
why knock it? You all brag about your dogs ancestory.

Click >>here<< to delete me!

Bullseye
I think you're all great people! xx
I think you're all great people! xx

Re: ok

Post by Bullseye » October 22nd, 2011, 9:40 pm

Welcome back Darren :)
Having trouble resizing an image for your profile picture?
>>Click Here<< and send me a link to the image you wish to use :)

Need help with adding photos? >>Click Here<<

Check out my facebook group: farcebook.com/bullbreedforum

>>Click Here<<
to delete my account.

mark lamont
Professional nice guy!
Professional nice guy!

Post by mark lamont » October 22nd, 2011, 11:33 pm

i think you havent had much response due to most of us are more at the question stage rather than giving answers ive managed to get a couple of my dogs in pretty good nick but i wouldnt say in peak condition so dont think im confident or qualified to make an article on the subject of conditioning a dog

i understand the basics ie dont start untill the dog is 18 months or when mature
food and rest are equally important as exercise warm up before warm down after hard work and rub down before using curacho muscle rub /massage after exercise

however inbetween work and other commitments im trying to bring nell into a reasonable form of condition just for myself we go to some events ie ikc or such and take part in weightpull aframe lure chase i know these are not your cup of tea but its better than owning these sorts of dog and doing nothing with them .

i have some questions she 3yrs old very lively weighs 44lbs and is 20 inches tts shes pretty fit but i want to see some muscular definition

which leads me to my first question once you get your dog to its optium weight does to much muscle restrict the dog ie to tight to function

once you get the dog to lets say peak condition how long should you keep the dog like this

would you recomend adding suppliments .if so what, we feed greyhound food add swift 88 and a teaspoon of cod liver oil in the food, use recharge in water before and after exercise

for exercise we bike her 5 or 6 miles at a reasonable pace a couple times a week , walking on lead usually pulling not out of controll but pulling flirt free running /jumping in the woods near us a frame & weight pull at events but not often she has 2 or 3 rest days a week depending on how busy i am she has to fit round what im doing and at the moment work and such is vey busy i havent got a set routine and were about 3 weeks in she is definatley shaping up is much more alert and has improved on performance .

if any of this is any use feel free to use it

best of luck with the book look forward to seeing it

all the best mark

Noreen
BANNED!

Post by Noreen » October 22nd, 2011, 11:36 pm

here we go again .

Reason for user being banned:
Made an abusive comment about a member's disability!

>>Click Here<< to view post!

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » October 23rd, 2011, 8:43 pm

Who on here says its ok to have a dog pull at 8weeks u sure they never said get the dog used to a harness ie wear it on walks and around the house just like u do with there 1st collar ? ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Philly Mc00

Post by Philly Mc00 » October 25th, 2011, 9:51 pm

I wouldn't agree with having an 8week old dog pulling. I don't let mine do anything straining till 18months, they only get 10 mins a day till a year. there not aloud climb on furniture or near the stairs till about 8 months, so the thoughts of letting them pull weight at 8 weeks is something I would be against.

Duke
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by Duke » October 25th, 2011, 11:40 pm

^agree^ the dogs need to develop first :springpole:
sig copy by macui1, on Flickr

mandog

Post by mandog » October 27th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Did no one see the film snow buddies, they had 4 or 5 month old golden retriever's pu;lling sleds accross the snow in a race and they won or something. If its good enough for them it's good enough for me.

mickey
BBF Supplied
BBF Supplied

Post by mickey » October 28th, 2011, 7:56 am

Lol that's it then if a goldy can do it so can a bullie

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Philly Mc00

Post by Philly Mc00 » October 28th, 2011, 8:08 am

I have no doubt in the world that the dogs would do it, when my pit was 5 or 6 months old she would have pulled a sled across burning coals for me, but I'd like to get a look at those golden retrievers when there 5 or 6 years because o reckon they'd be crippled wit arthritis.
It's hard to find the balance because pups are so eager and full of energy but I do believe in holding them back, just my opinion;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image