Dog off lead

General discussion, Health issues, Equipment, Accessories ect... Dates for the BBF dog days at Area51 are announced here too!
relentless
Dog off lead

Post by relentless » July 8th, 2011, 10:05 am

Why do people feel that their dog has a right to run free?
Today I was walking my dogs (on the lead obviously) down the playing fields, we were approached by a greyhound (or similar type) running round off the lead! It came within about 2ft from my dogs and was winding them up a bit, so I politely asked the woman to call her dog. With absoluetly no urgency she carried on walking and tried to call her dog. Instead of returning to its owner, it started growling at my dogs and showing its teeth. At this point I shouted to the woman "call your f***king dog" and she seemed to take me a bit more seriously. She kept calling it and eventually the dog returned to her.
Then she had the cheek to tell me that I shouldn't walk my dogs there if they dont get on with other dogs! So I told her that my dogs are under control, on a lead as required by law and her dog should be aswell :nutter: . She still tried to argue with me, saying that its an "open space" so her dog doesnt need to be on a lead :eek: .
Knowing that I was wasting my time arguing with this ignorant ****, I decieded to give up and walk on. I know there is a specific law that requires dogs to be on lead in public but I couldnt remember what its called. Can someone please remind me...

P.s Tbh I dont really have a problem with dogs being off the lead as long it has a sensible owner keeping an eye out and a good solid recall. Anything less is a recipe for disaster imo!

Rant over!!!!!!!!!!

:peace:

Diamond Kartel

Re: Dog off lead

Post by Diamond Kartel » July 8th, 2011, 10:41 am

Hello Relentless

Totally agree with you although I have had to learn the hard way. I have always owned dogs that have been under voice control, so when I moved the country from London I assumed that I could let my dogs off where ever I pleased. Now this resulted in a few dogs attacking my pup, so as my pup got older he got more boyterous and defensive, therefore I was accused of having an uncontrollable dog, put him on a muzzle they said, have him snipped they said, they changed they direction when seeing us, cuss, scream and freak out at the sight of my dog running around free. Whilst their dogs were aggressive and uncontrollable were free to do what they wanted.

So after months of sh;t and my own personal uncontrollable experiences with my pup, I snipped, leaded and in some places muzzle my dog. But I am fortunate to be surrounded by fields and can let him off after a certain distance and not see anyone else for miles. I do put him on a lead when I see other dogs and he is still attacked, he hates his muzzle and once I had to wait for half hour before he even moved, just layed down in the middle of the park and everyone who had slagged him off or had p;issed me off said - oh your not gonna let him stay there are you, oh poor thing, or I was once called cruel, but these same people told me to do these things.

Now my point is that you know your dogs and have the insight to have them on a lead. If that other dog would have attacked yours and got hurt, who's at fault, yup it would you as people always look at the owner before the dogs, if your dogs were running free and attacked the other, again your fault. I get it all the time and I am now of an opinion what will be will be. If their dogs come near mine and get hurt tuff, I am sick of being stereotyped as having and dangerous dog and it's other peoples dogs that are mostly at fault.

So rant appreciated :thumbsup:
BullBreedForum
(The most fun you can have on the net)

joe rock

Post by joe rock » July 9th, 2011, 6:13 pm

I use to get into a lot of hassle over this ! with my old dog , he was a X-ebt , and very control'd with just voice and command's but other people's dogs attacked him ,when he was off and on the lead , he wasn't confrontational and would slop off away from a fight ,all the time , so the other dog usually got aggressive or try and show dominance ! big mistake as it was he was non stop all out in a fight ! then he would get called aggressive ,not under control ,by the other dogs owner ! I got into nearly as many fights with the dogs owners , no use arguing as your dog gave their pride and joy a hiding ,even when it was their dogs and there selves fault ? I use to tell them to get their dog looked at ! if it was hurt ,if they got nasty , or said stupid things I would get nasty and give them a mouthful of the truth . Your dog is not under control and attacked mine and it gets a hiding . who's fault it that ? , and if you want to carry on you will get a hiding as well ! in my youth I was tolerant ,to stupid people now I'm worse ,so I walk away or get very nasty . ha ha

mandog

Post by mandog » July 10th, 2011, 6:55 pm

My dogs get excersised away from other dogs always. That's the beauty of getting up at the crack of dawn meaning not many people around.